What exactly is Magical Girl Raising Project?
- Magical Girl Raising Project is a murder game based off of the anime and light novels of the same name where characters become magical girls (or, perhaps, magical boys) and kill each other in order to survive. In game, the name "Magical Girl Raising Project" is given to the mobile game that characters are given with the one out of ten thousand chance of becoming a magical being, and you, my dear player reading this will be one of those few chosen to become one.
In any case, no former knowledge of the canon is necessary in order to play!
Where exactly are my characters?
- After becoming a magical being, all characters are brought in by the Magical Girl Raising Project mascot, Fav to Town A, an abandoned city that is currently in disarray. All characters will awaken in their assigned room in the Sakura Hotel and then will be given an announcement through their Magical Phones and the chat room. They will be told that the goal for them is to gather magical candies in order to save this town by fulfilling tasks and doing good deeds!
But wait, what about the murder?
- Once the first week is done, Fav will announce that the amount of magical beings in this town must be cut in half. He will explicitly explain that the person with the least amount of candies at the end of the week will become dropped out. Of course, eventually they'll find out that "dropping out" means dying.
How many and what characters are applicable here?
- Both canon and original characters will be applicable, with the exception of characters from Magical Girl Raising Project. Canon AUs will also be applicable (i.e: Persona 3 male protagonist and Female Persona 3 female protagonist, Haruhi Suzumiya from the main Haruhi series and Kyon from The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan would both work.) and we will have a limit of three characters per canon and an upper limit of thirty characters total, with players being able to play two characters maximum. Of course, players who will be playing two characters will have one of them get a guaranteed death roll, so please be aware of that! Characters that have died in their canon are also applicable, just as long as they have a corpeal body.
Will doubles be allowed? What about characters with split personality?
- They will be accepted on a case by case basis, depending on how different the characters are. If you have a specific question regarding a character, feel free to contact either of the mods.
How will non-humans be dealt?
- Characters who are non-human are completely applicable and characters who are too large will only be sized down to a human scale inside of buildings, the hotel being the only exception. If characters have more than one form, they will be stuck in a single form until their other form is regained.
How will scheduling work?
- Scheduling will work on a 1:1 day ratio. Mondays are when incentives, which include motives, new items, magical candy bonuses, and tasks will be given. Murders and investigations will occur on Fridays and trials will follow on both Saturday and Sunday unless otherwise stated.
Due to the game's start in March, we are expecting endgame to hit around May, give or take, depending on what actions you guys take.
Murderers and victims will be deathrolled after trials end on Sunday and characters who will be placed on the suspect list will be messaged on Monday, to give them time to prepare any possible alibi.
So, you mentioned incentives. What exactly are these?
- So there will be several things on the list for incentives for the week at the beginning of each week. The first will be your usual motives that you normally see in every murdergame - some of them will be normal, like money, kidnapping, etc, and some might be a little strange, but the exact motives will be a mystery until the time comes!
The second will be items. How items will work is that there will be five various items posted along with the magical candy amount - more on magical candies later - and these items can be from something useless to a character regain, which may include a character's powers. So potentially, your character might get the chance to steal another person's powers. On Monday (with the exception of the first week, where it will be a free-for-all), three players will be messaged for priority - basically, those three characters are allowed to choose to buy one item for the week before it opens up to everyone else. All items that are bought are considered sold out and can only be bought once. Of course, to add to the mystery, none of the characters will know what the other bought unless it comes into play, but all items will be described to each and every character, even if who obtains it is a secret.
The third will be magical candy bonuses and tasks! Magical candy bonuses are given for characters who pass Activity Check each week - each character who does will get a bonus 20 candies. As for the tasks, there will be various tasks - both repeatable and non-repeatable ones - given a week that is open for any character to take. These will be the two main ways for characters to obtain magical candy besides the trials. Tasks can vary from something very minimal like getting a person to a place to something like destroying skeletons.
You mention that magical candies are going to be utilized for buying items. So how is this going to work?
- Initially, all characters will start off with 500 candies that they can use to buy items. Characters an earn candies by passing activity check, submitting bonus activity, tasks, and finding the correct culprit (or if you're the culprit, getting away with murder!)
Besides getting murdered, the other way for a character to die is it their candy count hits zero at any point. Of course, a player will be warned if their count is close to zero and will hit zero. And in the case of stealing magical candies, characters will also be warned and will have one chance to opt out of the steal. This does not count towards your death opt out. If your character plans to steal candies, please inform the mods beforehand so we can notify and contact the other player.
Candies can also be transfered to another player, just in case someone wanted to pool in candies to buy a really expensive item or out of the goodwill of their heart to make sure they're not on the bottom of the rankings.
What's activity check and bonus activity?
- Activity check is dealt every week and living characters must submit a total of two threads between two different characters with at least five comments from you or more. Bonus activity is when you submit a thread of ten comments or more from your character. For each comment you submit, you are eligible to choose from one of two things:
- 25 candies
- A random item (potentially a character regain)
While characters do not have to pass Activity Check, those who do not are more likely to be death rolled for next week.
Trials and Investigations. Tell me about those.
- Investigations will be held on Fridays and will be rather open for characters to go search for clues. While mods will not be pointing out where specifically those clues are, we will be telling you if there is anything that can be found in those areas. Once two or more characters find the dead body, Fav will make an announcement telling everyone who died.
Trials will occur the following two days, both on Saturday and Sunday. For trials, five suspects will be revealed, with the murderer being amongst them. It is up to your characters to piece the evidence and alibis together in order to figure out a conclusion. Characters who are suspects will be given an area to write down their alibi and characters can discuss from there. Characters are also allowed to as Fav for any questions in regards to clarification, but Fav will not necessarily answer all questions.
On Sunday at 9 PM EST, all votes must be submitted, whether it's an abstain or not. Then we move on to the executions!
- That's right, this game will have the executions you know and love from other murder games. Of course, even if characters choose the wrong person as the culprit, all characters will not be executed; instead, the person they voted for will be scapegoated and the true culprit, who will still remain a mystery - unless they wish to out themselves ICly - will get off scot free with all the candy rewards.
Will there be a network?
- Yes, actually! Since Magical Girl Raising Project has characters using their phones to communicate, this murder game will have an in character chat room, where characters, with avatars of their magical form. This will also be how characters communicate with Fav as well.
What about powers? Will those be kept, since everyone's a magical being now?
- No, they will not be kept intially. However, when you list all of your characters canon abilities, those will be potential abilities, or rather, "items" that can be bought by any other character... as long as they have the candy for it! For example, let's take Yukari from Persona. If you list "media", it's possible that someone like Naegi Makoto can see that spell on the list of items for the week, buy it, and actually be able to use it.
Instead of abilities, due to their magical status, when they are transformed - and only when they in their transformed state (regardless if there's a physical change or not) - they will have heightened strength and agility, which allows them to jump really high and far. Their strength, transformed, is enough to smash a bolder into tiny pieces.
When the character is not in their transformed state they will only have their mundane abilities and any physical items that they have received. They will not be able to cast any spells or abilities that exist outside of that.
So, will my character have a magical girl/boy/being form and name?
- There will be a completely optional section for that in the application! If your character is already a magical girl/boy/etc, feel free to use that design and name or come up with a new one. You're also free to ask for randomization in regards to this section or disregard it altogether. For those who disregard it, they will simply gain the abilities when they "transform". All characters will be going by their magical name and form for the magical phones as well in chibi form.
Okay, so my character's dead. What now?
- It's not the end of the world! Okay, well, you're dead, but that doesn't mean that you won't get to play. There will be a deadland community that your character will be able to access and communicate with other characters who might join them.
- Since this is based off of Magical Girl Raising Project, there is a potential for spoilers not only for the anime, but the light novels as well.
When will applications open? When will the game start?
- Applications will open on February 26th and will remain open until either we hit the maximum thirty slots or March 3rd hits. Applications will be processed by the weekend and game start will be on March 6th.
Will there be a Golden End?
- Not necessarily. The ending that you get is completely dependent on the players and how you do throughout the game. It is completely possible for things to not end on a positive note. But again, the choice is up to you and your characters!